Thursday, June 7, 2012

Garden Update and Tilapia Release

Just a quick update on the garden.

The tomato plants are about done.  They are dying back.  I have a decision to make;  leave the green tomatoes to ripen, and risk the raccoons getting them, or pick them green and ripen off the vine at home.  I'd like to make some tomato sauce, but haven't had enough at any one given time thanks to the furry bandits.  My cherry tomato plants, planted later, are just coming in, and boy are they good!


I am getting more cucumbers each visit to the garden.  Between the Moose and I we can not eat them fast enough.  I'm gathering recipes for making dill pickles.  I like my dill pickles a little on the tangy/spicy side.  Any recipes you'd be willing to share?  I will be trying one my Great Aunt Marceille in Wisconsin just gave me, but trust me, I have enough cucumbers that I can make more than one recipe to find my favorite. 








The watermelon, cantaloupe, butternut squash and pumpkins are also doing great.  They just keep expanding out, and it's hard now to walk around the vines without stepping on any. 



Lettuce is done and started to bolt.  Temperatures are just too hot now.   I'm still getting green beans from my run of pole beans.  I pick enough for 2 meals for us, 2 times a week.  I continue to freeze them, as we can't eat enough, fast enough of the veggies we get each week, and I'll look forward to the beans later this fall.






We dropped the new 200 Tilapia into the pond this week.  This time, we received a variety of sizes, some as large as 3-4" in length.  Hopefully, we'll be able to harvest some in 4-6 months from now.  Better us, than the storks and egrets!




At this point, there are no major projects on the list for this weekend.  But there is still a couple more days..  I'm sure we'll come up with something!




2 comments:

  1. Lucky you. Our gardening season is just getting started. Pea vines and lettuce is doing good but no peas yet. How about making some green tomato relish. I got a recipe last year and it was really good. I don't buy relish at the store anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like I should give it a try. I think you posted on this before; the relish right? I'll go hunting and see what I can find. I can't wait to see how your garden does this summer. I am going to apply your fertilizer recipe on the garden after I pull up the old tomato plants, and clean up the area a bit. I need to get it ready for fall planting, which really starts in July...

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.