Thursday, April 24, 2014

Week in Photos 4/20/14

OK, don't make fun of all my weeds!  I cleaned most of them up after I took the photos!  Just so you don't go thinking I don't do anything at The Compound.  I'm in charge of the garden and the chickens, chicken coop, and on occasion I'm the extra pair of hands that is needed to hold something in place.  Oh, and of course I'm the snack lady for all the animals!  I get all the fun projects.

OK, I didn't clean the weeds up from around this. What is now a giant celery plant! It started growing on it's own, and I've left it alone to see what will happen.  Celery tastes fine, and growing, at least better than my weeds.

Tomatoes, cherry and big boy varieties.  Lots of blossoms and the start of some tomatoes.

We have three tomatoes of pretty good size on a tomato plant I did not plan for.  It grew up on it's own, so I left it.

No, little piggies.  That's a camera in my hand, not a PB and J!

Now serving number?  There are more than enough places to lay an egg, but yet they still want to lay them in the same place.

Miss Connie hatched out two chicks again this year.  What are the odds it was two chicks again, by Miss Connie and one is black the other yellow.  Same as last year!  She's a very good momma.

Here are my two favorites. The Queen (LH) and the boar from her litter.  Both lay down so I can scratch them.  They actually close their eyes and fall asleep.  He even snores.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Saturday Part 3 - This Little Piggy...

This little piggy came we, we, we, all the way home to The Compound!  Along with two litter mates or sisters, who knows.  We'd guess he's around 40-50lbs, and is about the same size as our group of 7.  He's all black, and yes he's a boy.

It was too late in the day to get the girls wrangled up and in their fenced in area.

I'll tell you what, BJ and Donnie live for this stuff!  Wrangling hogs is second nature to these guys.  This boar was not very happy, and even though the fence was electrified he kept charging it.  I've never been around anything like this before, so it was all new to me!  He looked like a bull in the ring facing a matador!  All the snorting and pawing at the ground included.

He caused quite the uproar, all the dogs were barking, the chickens were in a panic and the other herd of hogs were pretty upset.  Oh, the horror of having a stranger in their midst.

We blocked off a section of their enclosure for him and his sisters, and allow both groups to get to know one another over time.  This will also keep the new ones quarantined to make sure they are healthy.

This is BJ, this is how dirty you get wrangling hogs!  I had a picture of the back of him, worse than the front, but it didn't turn out.  With all the rain we had this past week, almost anything and everything around here is mud.

We're happy with the new breeding stock, and the extra pork chops and sausage that will be on our table this year.  Oh, how we enjoy life at The Compound!

Monday, April 21, 2014

Saturday Part 2, Container Update; Dirt, Dirt and more Dirt

On to part two from Saturday!  As if part one wasn't enough work.  But we are thankful the weather was partly cloudy for most the day, and in the upper 70's to lower 80's with a good breeze.

The Moose, BJ and Donnie spent a better part of Saturday filling in the container.  They're about halfway up on one side, and a third of the way on the other.  Just what they all wanted to do;  more digging!

The black material was leftover from a garden project we had sometime back to help kill nematodes.  It's just another barrier between the container (which already has a rubberized coating and paint) and dirt.  We have a lot more planned for this container, and it seems we're on a pretty good trajectory to get some of the more important details taken care of.  So stay tuned!