Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Things I've Learned

I've learned a few things in the past several days about raising chicks, and I thought I'd share;

  • Raising chicks is like raising a toddler.  They need to be fed, watered and changed periodically. (we have one with pasty butt)
  • When you have 20 to look after at one time, the amount of care needed isn't that much more than if you have 12.  Go BIG or go HOME!
  • Losing even 1 chick, much less 3 is heartbreaking.  I've cried over each one.  They've each gotten a resting place.  We don't throw them in the trash.
  • 20 chicks makes for a lot of poo.
  • It doesn't take but a couple of days and they start their version of WWE.  Body slams and chest butting included.
  • Chicks have no sense of direction.  They just walk right over each other.
  • They only sleep for a minute or two at the most and then their ADHD kicks in, and it's back to some more eating, drinking, pooing, or WWE.
  • We live in a warm climate, and while you provide a heat lamp, they rarely sit under it. 
  • Some are more daring than others.  We have a small roost the Moose built, and some take to it right away, others seem "chicken" to even give it a try.
  • Raising chicks is still loads of fun!  I wouldn't trade them for anything!

1 comment:

  1. I cry over every one too so join the club. I will admit to being a bird junky.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.