Thursday, April 12, 2012

Getting Things in Order

The Moose and I decided to get some personal things in order recently.  We've talked about it for years, and are finally getting things done.  We are preparing our Living Will, Living Trust and Powers of Attorney.  When mentioning this to D1 and D2, they don't really want to think about losing their parents, and I can relate to that.  But I have a strong push to get our "stuff" in order.

We went with a Living Trust so our girls won't have to face probate court and the costs associated with it.  We don't want any squabbling over whether or not they should take us off life support.  We want the process already in place and understood so when the time does come, they'll know where to go to get the information they need.  Dealing with tragedy is hard enough, without having to try and figure out where everything stands legally.

It's part of prepping in my opinion.  Be prepared with food, water, shelter, safety, and peace of mind.

2 comments:

  1. Very smart idea. But I think you may be talking about a living will or health care directive. A living trust is when you put all your assets into a trust to be given to your heirs after your death and if it is revocable it just means you can change it when ever you want. I've learned all this the hard way. My parents had a revocable living trust which they named me as the executor. Not something I want to do again anytime soon. My recently passed brother had health care directives and durable power of attorney which he named me to oversee. Also something I don't care to repeat. However now I have to do the same thing for his domestic partner because she is now in a rest home. UGGGG! On top of that now a friend has asked me to do it for her too. I'm trying to get out of that since she has a son. Anyway make sure you ask someone in your neck of the woods because laws are slightly different in each state. It's such a drag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sista,

    We are doing all three, Living Will, Power of Attorney/Health Care directive, and Living Trust. It's a hassle, but needs to get done.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.