Monday, March 7, 2011

Garden and Wood Hauling

It was a 2 t-shirt day Saturday.


My parents are quit the troopers, they came out to the Compound again this weekend. My Mom helped me with the garden. It was one of my goals for this last weekend to get the rest of the main garden tilled and the entire area planted. Goal accomplished! Thanks to my Mom's help. We planted strawberry,tomato, pepper and eggplant plants (store bought, and greenhouse grown), lettuce, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, peas and bean seeds. As you can see in the garden photos, we used hay on the strawberries to keep the berries off the ground and the moisture in the soil. Here in FL we don't have access to straw, it's not grown here. So we'll see how this works out. I planted some asparagus and rhubarb plants the previous weekend and they are already coming up. I'll try to get some photos for next week. Come hell or high water, I'm going to make a strawberry rhubarb pie out of my garden!

We still have some beets, carrots, brussel sprouts, onions, leeks and celery growing. Yes, off in the distance is what will be my chicken coop area.








One bonus to the work on Saturday, since we had my parents help, is the Moose and I were able to get another section of garden tilled up. We need to add some compost, and then plant some remaining items like corn, sunflowers, watermelon, squash, etc.




My Mom and Dad had an oak tree cut down by their house this week, and were kind enough to save it for us to use at the Compound. I don't think any of us realized how much wood there would be, but it filled up our trailer. Here are a couple of photos of my Dad and the Moose offloading, and organizing. I didn't get a photo of my Mom, but she helped with this project too.



The Moose, Mom and Dad also finished with the remaining posts needed for the chicken run. There's still more that needs to be done, but every weekend we get a little closer to getting it done.

Welcome Mandyfarmer to our small but growing group of followers!

Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.