Monday, October 27, 2014

Finally Some Relief

Well, I think fall is finally knocking on our door.  We have had some relief from the humidity and the temps are getting into the middle to lower 80's.  The humidity is really the main thing I'm glad to feel is going away.  It's actually been in the lower 60's in the mornings, which is awesome!  We can finally open the doors and windows and air things out, right up and until around lunch time.

All the animals, and especially the rabbits are enjoying the respite.  We brought Cannoli home last week so I can work on his eyes.  It's getting better, slow but sure.  I'm using a turmeric water solution (natural antiseptic, that doesn't sting) and aloe vera.  The deep bright pink around his eyes is back to normal, but there's still some gooky stuff coming out the tear duct area, which I think itches.  He's scratched himself and created a very small cut.  But his energy level is up, and for a rabbit that wouldn't even let you near him, I can now routinely scratch his head.  He's becoming quite the momma's boy.  I'm sure it has nothing to do with the graham cracker or sweet potato treats.

We adopted three semi-feral barn cats.  One of which mauled the Moose, and gave him an infection he's been fighting all week.  I was asked;  "why cats".   We have so many animals now, including all the dogs that everyone owns, that having to use poison is not a good viable option to control the rat issue.  The rats eat the poison and run off to get some water.  Well, the dogs have access to the same areas, and I don't really want them to decide to make a dead or dying poisoned rat a chew toy.  So, hence the cats.  Which until it's dark we rarely see.  They came spayed, with shots etc.  But as long as they are off doing what cats should do, and what they've already been doing we should see some improvements.

Other than changes in the weather, it's really been the same old - same old the last couple of weeks at The Compound.  There's always a project or two, or three to work on. 

Until next time, have a great day!






8 comments:

  1. Izzy,

    I love this time of year when you can open up and cool the house down with lower temperatures.

    Tell Moose to be careful, my sister had a cat.... it bit and scratched her.......gave he blood poisoning and the cat was an indoor cat. Her leg swelled two times it's size, went to the ER she was given strong antibiotics and threatened that if the swelling doesn't go down she would be put in the hospital. She had to keep her leg elevated for days. A cat bite or scratch can be pretty scarey stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy,

      The Moose is doing much better. He's taking an antibiotic and keeps it clean. It looked terrible the very next day, even though he used an antiseptic right away. It gets better everyday, so I think he's on the mend. I'll keep an eye on him, and if needed I'll nag him to death until he gives in and sees a doctor.

      Delete
  2. Hey Izzy, I was going to caution about the cats as well. We are loving the 'cooler' less humid weather as well. It's supposed to really cool down this coming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DFW,

      I think you guys were 20 degrees cooler Saturday morning than here. Time to break out the sweaters! I'm looking forward to a morning when I can make myself some hot chocolate!

      Delete
  3. Well I understand your reluctance to use poison but there is one thing rats and mice cannot do that actually makes the poison less harmful to other critters.

    Vomit.

    Those rat and mice blocks of poison have a regurgitant in them so other critters will vomit it back up if they eat it or a rodent that has died from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preppy,

      You are a plethora of good information my friend! I had no idea, so I guess I could use both; cats and poison (only in areas no other animal can reach like my turkeys and chickens). Maybe we'll really be able to get a handle on our problem.

      Delete
    2. Izzy - One of my best friends was an exterminator, in fact his entire family were exterminators out in Kansas and he was the one who told me that years ago when I was worried about the exact same thing you are worried about. He did also say it was a god idea to place poison in those plastic boxes though. He also showed me where you could buy those little 3 or 4 lure plastic tackle boxes and cut a hole in them which would allow the mice to get in but nothing else could get the poison block out.

      All that being said I am not sure if poultry can vomit either though.

      Delete
  4. We had similar concerns about rat poison and so don't use it. Plus, if they happen to go to the happy ratty hunting ground while under or behind something ... PHEW!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.