Friday, May 2, 2014

Three Little Pigs - turned out they were all boars

Here are the three new pigs we caught.  We thought we had 1 male and 2 females.  Ended up they were all males.  O.K., don't laugh.  I know how to tell them apart, but I hadn't yet seen them last weekend, it was getting dark, and they were in a pretty good mud hole so it was hard to tell!

Looks like we'll have plenty of bacon and pork chops!

 
 
Just for fun, here's our current group of pigs or;
 
A group of pigs is called drove of pigs, herd of pig or litter of pigs. A group of pigs can also be collective known as farrow though it is often used to refer to a group of piglets while sounder of pigs is a term given to a group of wild pigs. (from Ask.com)
 
 
 

How many of you actually new they could be called a drove, herd, farrow, or sounder?  Learn something new everyday!!!

4 comments:

  1. I did know they could be called a herd as that is what I have always known them to be called but the rest of the terms were new to me....thanks for the ag lesson....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't. Looks like are fattening up nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Izzy,

    I've learned something new, I had no idea a group of pigs could be called all of these names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it's all boys but I envy all that yummy pork and bacon. We need pigs but I'm not willing to pay $200 to $300 per piglet, which seems to be what folks think weaner pigs are worth around here. I like your "trivia" too; interesting and things I need to learn!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.