Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sufferin Succotash


What makes a succotash, a succotash?  I moved south from Wisconsin a couple decades ago, and until I moved south, unless it was uttered by Sylvester on Looney Tunes/Warner Bros., I never heard the word, much less knew what the heck it was.
I got the drivel of a newspaper this week, and came across a recipe for corn, string bean & potato succotash salad.  It just so happens I have fresh corn, beans from our garden and a few potatoes beckoning me to make use of them.   OK, I can make this recipe, but I still had no idea what makes a succotash a succotash?

Per Wikipedia; succotash is a food dish consisting primarily of corn and beans. Other ingredients may be added, but it’s the corn and beans together that make it a succotash.  Relatively inexpensive, it was popular during the Great Depression.  Can be served warm or cold, depending.

So, here’s my first foray in to the world of succotash;

4 thin skinned potatoes are put in a pot of cold water w/salt.  Bring to boil over medium-high heat.  While that’s going shuck 4 ears of corn.  Once the water is boiling add the corn and cook for 3-5 minutes and then remove and let cool.  Place about ½ pound of string beans (trimmed) in pot and cook for 5 minutes.  Remove them from the pot with a slotted spoon and place in ice water.  Drain the potatoes when tender in about 20 minutes.

Cut the corn off the cob, drain the beans, slice or cube the potatoes and place all in a large bowl.  Add 1 finely chopped shallot, 1/3 cup olive oil (more as less as needed), salt, pepper to taste and a handful of fresh parsley leaves chopped.

Lightly mix all of it together, and you have a succotash!  It was pretty good, and a good use of a few items I had sitting around.  I served this cold.  Should make enough for 4-6 people.
From the Orlando Sentinenl 7/10/13, Adapted from “Canal House Cooks Every Day” by Melissa Hamilton and Christopher Hirsheimer.


1 comment:

  1. That looks really good. I have never had potatoes in my succotash.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.