Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Calling All Bee Keepers! I need your help!

OK, I think we have swarming bees, but not 100% sure.  We stopped out at The Compound last night to feed/water the Cotton Club and Hooligans and came across tens of thousands of bees flying in random direction and order, over the entire property.  They were more concentrated around one oak tree and a pair of robellini's.  No ball of bees to be found.  As soon as the sun went down, poof, they were all gone.  No idea where too, just gone!








We decided to get going first thing this morning and see if they by chance formed a ball or not.  What we found (after Miss Izzy went to the animal hospital for a pygmy rattlesnake bite), was the same thing.  No order or reason, and no ball of bees.  Any ideas?

I cleaned out the old hive I had, and placed a dish with some honey inside, hoping that it might entice them to visit and stay awhile.  They quickly found the honey, but so far, have done nothing but bee be a bunch of freeloaders.




I also saw this activity by my hive, it looks like fighting.  Not something you'd see from a well established hive of working order. If you can help answer my question or know someone that might, will you please let me know? 

If this is the scene a few months back when we lost our original hive, I can see how they were taken over.  There are just so many bees!  They didn't stand a chance.



2 comments:

  1. I think I would contact a bee keeper and ask them to come look. I had a swarm once and a bee keeper was glad to come (although I know this isn't a swarm)Maybe they are crazed zombie bees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help you, as I have absolutely NO knowledge of bees. But I hope you get answers, as I would hate for you to lose another batch.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.