Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tin Roof... Rusted


OK, we’re affectionately calling the chicken coop the “loveshack”.   The Moose thought that up on our ride home late Saturday.  It’s a tin roof, and it isn’t rusted yet,  but that’s what he thought of so we’re going with it!  Of course with a rooster, there’s a bit of love to go around too.
What can I say other than it was HOT, HOT, HOT this weekend.  We spent Friday night trying to get a head start on the normal chores, only to have our riding mower go down, and then a backup mower as well.  I got about a ½ acre mowed with the rider before it broke down, so the Moose and I mowed by hand until dark Friday night.  I finished the remaining yard and drive on Saturday. Let’s just say that drive is a LOT longer than I thought especially while pushing a mower in the heat.  I spent the better part of 5 hours mowing on Saturday and physically it was about all I could do.

Even with the heat index expected around 105 degrees my Padre’, Mom and Daughter #1 still came out to help put on the roof.  We made sure the guys had plenty of water and an occasional break.  It was needed.  Each of them has sore fingers from where they missed the nail head, and cuts on their hands from the sheet metal.   Then due to the heat and direct sunlight, the metal sheets were extremely hot.  A double whammy of heat!  Throw in sore feet, legs, back, arms, and neck from climbing ladders, hammering, and lifting; a day of rest is well deserved.  They hammered in nearly 7lbs of roofing nails!


I’m so glad they had the fortitude to get this project completed.  Now we can sleep at night and not worry about the chickens getting attacked from overhead.  They did a great job, in tough conditions. We just have some finish work to complete on the outside edges, and then staple the cloth and chicken wire to the roof on the inside.  Another bonus, the temperature under that roof was about 10 degrees cooler than out in the sun.  A noticeable change. 
The chickens seemed happy when we were getting ready to leave.  They spent most of the day Saturday exploring their new surroundings, the little ones wrestled and actually could spread their wings and fly around.  If you've never had chickens then you can not understand, but if you do/did, then you know what I mean about having happy chickens.  You can just tell.

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe you guys work in that heat. I can't even stay in my garden past noon if it gets over 70. I would be a wimp living in Florida. Your chickies look happy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you work in the cold! We keep our house at 78 in the summer, anything lower and we're freezing!!

      Delete
  2. I'm just about able to lend a helping hand now. I feel guilty for not being able to come help ya'll out ! If chickens had lips they'd be smiling bout now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, you need to heal up first, or you'll be of no use going forward to anyone. We look forward to seeing you soon.

      Delete
  3. Working on a tin roof under the blistering heat? That is not a good combination, Izzy. It is not advisable to work on the roof while the sun is at its highest because it increases the risks of heatstroke. But looking at the pictures, you still managed to reroof the coop even under the heat. I imagine you guys took a long cool bath afterwards just to cool off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Noreen. You should work on your roof under good weather conditions. If you’re doing roof repairs when the weather is so hot, it will be difficult for you to focus on work because you’re dwelling on the heat. Likewise, don’t try to fix your roof when it’s raining as it’s slippery up there when rain falls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, Noreen! You guys must have had some difficulty working with the roof under extreme heat. It's a good thing nobody was severely hurt aside from the cuts and sore fingers. I think painting the roof will add to its beauty and protect the tin roof from rust, thus prolonging its lifespan.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.