We’re making headway on the new roof for the chicken coop. After the disaster two weeks ago, we haven’t thought about much else, except making sure we never have to come across a scene like that ever again.Last weekend we cleaned out the bottom of the coop, added it to the garden for compost, and locked all the chickens in the actual coop itself. Since the new flock needed to realize this would be their new home and needed an extended stay, of at least a week anyway, it worked out fine.
If you didn't know, chickens will come "home to roost", but only after they know where the roost is. You need to sequester them for about a week in the area you want them to come home and sleep at night, and they'll keep coming back.
We did have some other predators chewing through the roof, and the actual chicken wire itself. Creepy to continue to see new holes, so we were glad we locked them all in and shored things up a bit overhead.Speaking of predators, I heard a coyote howling off in the distance this past week. Yeah for us, now there's something else for me to worry about. We'll be making sure the bottom of the coop is in good order.
In what little free time we have, we got a head start on this Saturday’s project to finish the roof. We were able to put in some posts last weekend, and during this week, we picked up some additional materials, and framed out the roof. Now, understand the coop is not square, and not level. We did the best we could at the time, and were not concerned with perfectly square corners. So we had to do some finagling to get it framed out.
We’ll also be letting the new chickens out of the coop to explore their new surroundings and take a dust bath or two. We'll all need one, after dealing with the heat that is expected. Index to reach around 105 degrees. What luck.. More updates and photos later this weekend.