Monday, June 10, 2013

Broody Hen at The Compound

We're so excited!  We have a broody hen!  The Moose and I have really wanted to have our hens raise their young on their own, and we look forward to comparing the differences between them and the ones we hatched in the incubator. 

Will they be more socially excepted in the flock?
Will they grow slower, quicker, or about the same?

We noticed Connie sitting in the nesting box a couple of weeks ago, and when I went to collect the eggs I got quite a growl.  I knew something was up.  She stayed on the eggs the entire day.  We gave her three more days to make sure, and then the Moose moved her to one of the dog kennels we bought at a recent yard sale for $5, to keep her and the eggs safe and secluded.  She didn't like the move very much, but after a about 10 minutes or so, she settled right down.

We placed a small container for water and feed just in case, and she has actually eaten a little.  I don't think you can really tell in this photo, but she has really flattened herself out over those eggs. 




They should hatch sometime this next week or so, if I'm guessing correctly.

We had another go broody as well, Dolly.  The Moose moved her, and at the point we left The Compound on Saturday, she did not sit back on her eggs.  She just started eating, like she hadn't eaten anything in a week!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, she'll have settled down.  More updates to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.