Thursday, January 19, 2012

Seedling Plantings and Home Economics


I'll be busy this coming weekend planting my tomato, cabbage, and broccoli seedlings.  I'm hoping to also get some greens;  lettuce, spinach, and swiss chard, seeds in as well.  Weather should be in the lower 80's, and looks to stay there for the next week.  I'm hoping the garden will come in good this season, so we have enough to do some canning this year.  I'm planting heirloom tomatoes, and I'll update you on the varieties in another posting.  We'll be keeping tabs on how the Back to Eden program works for us in Central Florida.  So far, so good.

My parents are joining us, as my Dad finished the trap door for the wild hog pen, and wants to get it installed.  I'm hoping my Mom can help me figure out the ancient sewing machine she gave me over 20 years ago, that hasn't been used since.   It has been a great dust collector over the years, and hopefully it still functions.   I just can't seem to figure out how to run the thread down to the needle.  Since I started my personal "home economics" classes, of which I completed sewing 101 a couple of weeks ago, I would really like to get the machine up and running, and it's not anything like the one we used in class.  I'm not usually so inept, but this one has thrown me for a loop! 

Next month is Knitting 101 and Daughter Number 1 is braving the class with me.  She's smart as a whip, so she should keep me in line and on the right page throughout the class.   I'm trying to spread the classes out to one a month, for time and financial reasons.  That way too, I can come home and hone my skills before the next step. 

I'll be back with another episode after we're finished at the Compound this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.