Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sharpening Garden Tools


O.K., call me a greenhorn when it comes to gardening.  I can live with that title.  I don’t, however believe I’m the only one!  Most of us have lived a charmed life in or near the big city.  Food just naturally appeared in the local market, all cut up frozen or canned, just waiting for me to plunk down our hard earned money to feed the family.

Later we started reading articles on GMO’s, the economy etc. and decided we’d rather grow our own.  We don’t always succeed, and most probably don’t at the beginning.  Let’s not forget, our grandparents gardened, canned and raised their own food as part of their existence.  It was a normal or a natural set of events in life.  Not so for my generation.

I’ve seen gardening done before, watched it on TV but never really grew anything on my own.  Frankly, I’ve lived in the city, with limited space, and even less of a desire until the past few years. 

It is not easy, and if you skip even a week of weeding, they’ve taken over!  We’ve seen our share of ups and downs at The Compound, but each time we learn something new.  

There are many lessons to learn.  One of them includes how to care for the tools needed for gardening.

I came upon a pair of my sheers, laying out on the ground in the elements.  They were a new pair about a year ago, now they look like their 10 years old.  Surface rust is not a pretty thing, and needs to be taken care of in order to extend the life of all our tools.

I did what anyone would do, I searched the internet.  First of all, who would I ask that would know?  Better yet, I’m tired of embarrassing myself asking these types of questions and getting the “how do you not know” look.  So internet hunting I went.

Here are some of the links I found most useful.   It will be one of my priorities at The Compound in the coming weeks.  Sharpen what can be sharpened, clean what can be cleaned, and shellac what can be shellacked.  Sounds like fun doesn’t it?!
 

1 comment:

  1. I so agree w/you. I don't have enough sunlight here in FL so about all I do here IS experiment. I had found this added tip about keeping tools maintained.

    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/2012/12/garden-tool-maintenance-101.html

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.