Tuesday, June 9, 2015

All's Well

I thought I'd add a quick report for my loyal followers;

The Moose and I are doing just fine.  Busier than a one-armed paper hanger, but just fine.  We have 17 new piglets (bacon bits as Pioneer Preppy likes to call them) at The Compound, 16 from our own sows and 1 that was found on the side of the road of all things.  She's just darling and won't leave her adoptive mothers side, and mom just loves on her too.  So all's well on that account.

We have two new turkey chicks, and hopefully more on the way.  4 of the hens are back to laying on eggs again.  Seems weird to me, but I guess if they don't have any following them around, then they feel left out.  So we'll see in a couple of weeks if we have any other new chicks.  With the bird issues in other parts of the country, the fact we may indeed have a turkey on our table at Thanksgiving is nice.

I think I've sold my rabbits.  The Holland Lop Ears are cute as a button, but at this point, I'd like to lighten the load.  It's not that they take much time, or really cost that much money.  I'd like to see someone else that really wants them raise and breed them.

Weather is turning hot and HUMID, and we're starting to see the normal summer afternoon rain pattern go into full swing.

Other than that, hope you're all doing well.  I do stop by your blogs and see what you're up to on occasion.  Wishing you all the best.

3 comments:

  1. Izzy,

    Hey there, good to hear you and yours are doing okay.
    Congrats on all your new bacon bits!!! Speaking of pigs, did you hear about that tractor trailer involved in an accident and over 200 piglets were running loose on the highway.
    Due to the bird issues eggs in the normal grocery stores are being limited.......
    Keep cool with all that warm weather, catch you later :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to "see" you posting! Glad you all are well! Eggs at our local grocery store are well over 2.00 a dozen. I love knowing we have fresh eggs daily. I have almost 20 turkeys now and 28 rabbits. We will be eating well! LOL. Congrats on the piglets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since I posted (but not as long as you!). Good to hear from you, Izzy and glad to know you are all well. We have two turkey chicks, too. I wish we'd brought them home a few weeks earlier when we got our new layer/chicks. I've read much about raising them together or not and wish we had. A friend lost an entire flock and says they're not worth it. Ours are doing fine so far for which I'm thankful. We hadn't actually planned on doing any new birds this year, but then some forest critter took half our flock of layers, and the news about the bird flu got me to thinking... We also have a flock of 40 meat birds in the poultry pen down in the field with less than two weeks to go before "processing." Other than that, we have a new rabbit (only one) and no one here is fond of the idea of raising them for meat as no one likes the idea of "processing" bunnies. Such animal lovers. :)
    Take care!
    xo Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.