Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

We're well on our way to having the Compound ready for when SHTF. Below is our list of projects we wanted to complete this year, and since we're five months into it, I decided to look back and see what's left;

Must haves;
-Paint the container, it's a lovely orange color right now. It's going to be green, so it will blend in better with it's surroundings.
-Build the chicken coop, no I haven't forgotten about MY chickens!CHECK
-Till and get ready the garden for plantingCHECK
-Put up our greenhouse, it's small but should help get things started.CHECK
-Plant seedlings CHECK
-Clean out the wild blackberry area, so it's easier to pick. Right now it has grasses and weeds growing in the same area.CHECK

Wish list;
-Plant some additional fruit trees and bushes. I think we lost some of the ones we planted last year due to the freezing temperatures we had in December.CHECK
-Build a railing on the dock. I always feel like I'll fall off. I know it's an optical illusion, but I want the safety.
-Build a pizza/stone oven
-Expand the garden to include a separate herb gardenCHECK
-Build a mini dock by the boat launch area, to help with loading and unloading of our boat from the trailer.

Not too bad if I say so myself. Considering the projects were completed on the weekends. Throw in some normal maintenance like mowing, watering and weeding the garden, and a few additional not planned for projects like expanding the garden area to completely surround the pond, the solar panels and lighting, not to mention our day jobs, prepping and keeping up with things at home. I wonder sometimes how we got this much accomplished! Slow and steady wins the race!

1 comment:

  1. The bread oven is finally starting to get to the top of my list. I have been planning it for three years now and cannot wait to get it started.
    The plan for it is to make a couple of weeks of breads at a time. This will be our first attempt at it all so I dont know how it will turn out.
    Good luck with your list.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.