Monday, October 12, 2015

Hooked on a Feeling - It's Finally Fall at The Compound

I had the BJ Thomas song in my head this morning;  Hooked on a Feeling.  So now that I've dated myself and got those of you around my same age, singing this song to yourselves  Your Welcome!



To the Little Girl who was kind enough to give me Fludders, here's your update;

He's doing great!  At first he was a bit scared, especially of our white rooster.  He liked to hide to stay out of the way.  So this weekend we removed the white rooster and put him in his own area so Fludders can get more comfortable with his new home and with all the hens at The Compound.  He's been eating and actually making friends with our pigs too.  I even saw him napping next to some of my girl pigs on Saturday.  Thank you for giving him to me!  We will do our best to spoil him rotten!



The humidity and heat have finally backed off and if the weatherman is right, we may finally be able to put the summer of 2015 behind us.  Although it was a bit warm this weekend, the humidity was not there and the Moose only went through about 3 t-shirts.  That's how we gauge things, not by temperature but by how often he has to change t-shirts.

The guys finished our new turkey housing addition, (of which I didn't get any photos), moved the four teenage turkeys to the new enclosure and in with the original flock (there was a bit of a kerfuffle), and added another lean-to area for the male hogs.

I spent my time working on the garden beds, removing the yellowing leaves from the tomato plants, removing caterpillars which are the bane of my existence at the moment, and look at what they did in one week to my cucumber plants; 


I really hate using pesticides, but the bugs leave me no choice.  It's that or no vegetables.  I found three different type of caterpillars in my garden.  Some roll the leaves back over themselves so they can eat in peace, others just eat large holes in the leaves and the worst one's you can hardly see until they've had their fill; they make the leaves look like lace.  Frankly, the pesticide didn't even phase this last type.

The tomatoes are going strong, and I've only found a few small green inch worm type bugs, and a couple of black caterpillars.  Besides some leaf miners which out at The Compound always get on my plants, they seem to be doing really well.


While I was working in the garden, or frankly going just about everywhere one of our supervisors stuck by my side to make sure I was doing things right.  Here's Kitty-Kitty;

Of the three semi-feral cats we rescued this past year she is the friendliest.  Here are the other two  Bones and Claire;


Skin and "Bones"  he has a hard time putting on weight.
Claire



.That's it for now, you can go back to singing Hooked on a Feeling....


 





5 comments:

  1. Daggum bugs! Those tomatoes look like they're doing well though. Yeah, now I'll have that song in my head the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering if I'll be able to hum anything else today... :)
    Love all the productivity going on at the Compound and think your kitties are cute. I'm not a cat lover, but I do have a soft spot for tabbies. Glad your new layer is settling in. Our lone turkey was processed a week and a half ago and weighed in at 18.5 pounds which should be perfect for our Thanksgiving gathering. We'd not raised a turkey before and will definitely do it again next year, LW. Glad your weather is cooling a bit. We are enjoying a mostly dry and warmer-than-average October here which means I'm still harvesting tomatoes. Sorry for all your bugs.
    xo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of the buff chickens. We had three buffs but one got chomped by the dogs. She didn't quite Runaway fast enough and now we Wasted all those days and nights on her. Still I heard it through the grape vine that buff chickens go broody more easily than other breeds so maybe will get some more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Compound has been included in our Sites To See #459. Be assured that we hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2015/11/sites-to-see-459.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry,

      Sorry for the delay in responding. THANK YOU for including our site on yours. I will spend some time on yours as well and will return the favor with your info in an upcoming post. Thanks again!

      Delete

We love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.